3.12.2012

The Feira


Here again is a view of our home.  Here is a view of our street.

Monday through Saturday.


Here is the same street on any given Sunday:


Can you find the purple wonder?  I know it’s difficult.

Yes, this is the weekly feira which means = market.  Vendors come from the surrounding areas and set up a booth with their meat/produce/spices/grocery items or products for sale.  It so happens that Ben, Meg, Franca and Edite all live on one of the four streets used on this day.  What does this mean for us?  This means that we are in a great location for shopping.  It also means that we are woken up and KEPT up starting at around 4:00am every Sunday morning when the vendors are setting up.  Setting up must of course involve loud music (forro: pronounced foe-hoe) set on repeat and plenty of cachaça (brazilian rum).  We are slowly aclimating to this early Sunday morning  ritual that happens litterally outside the front door of our small home, though as you’d imagine it’s a bit irritating!  To give a visual, here’s our view outside on market Day:


There are a few grocery stores in town that carry dry goods, frozen meat and sad looking produce which I suppose you could get by on.  But generally speaking the feira offers the freshest stuff at the best prices.  So most all of the local friends, including us, do our food shopping for the week on Sunday morning at the feira.    It’s not just food that is sold however.  There is also everything from patio furniture, mattresses and clothing to tobacco, knives and little chicks dyed green and pink – don’t ask.  It’s sort of your classic scene where everyone is shouting at you to stop at their booth and you’re shouting back “how much per kilo for your_____”  After awhile though, you know which venders you like and trust and you get down a system.  I must humbly admit that with a little help in the beginning from Edite, Ben and I are well on our way to mastering the feira and we love it!  Here is a typical adventure:

An idea of how packed the streets get.
                     
Ben choosing cheese
Cheese getting weighed before final price is given
It smells as good in here as it looks.
Our egg lady
         
Our helper is never far...

A sister in our hall and her husband selling beans
People from the rurals pour in by truck or bus

Usually when we get home, it’s time to snack on chunks of fresh cheese and watermelon while we wash the produce, clean and chop the meat, pick through beans and get to cooking.  Here’s a standard meal:


Oh, and don’t forget the hot sauce :)

5 comments:

  1. WOW! This absolutely puts Market Basket to shame! We would LOVE to go shopping at your little fiera. The fruits, the greens,--I'm salivating thinking about it. And you even get forro to go with it. MB doesn't have that-although here on Mt. Vernon St. we get it all the time:) The meal looks wonderful. I'll take mine without the hot sauce, thank-you. Sven would like his drenched with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are just fantastic! I love the pictures. It's so cool to enable everyone SEE what you're seeing & taste what you're tasting. Meg: did you COOK/MAKE that bowl of food at the end? Looks awesome & just a little familiar.... And, I'm with you on the hot sauce: do you want some sent, or is the local stuff 147% better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible! Sophia says that truck with all the people is " CRAZY". That is some good looking food, especially the watermelons. It's great how the market comes to you, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious!! (I could have done without the meat pics...haha)..seems like you guys are doing good..I'm still peering into Ford Escapes on the highway looking for you and Benny. Miss you xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!
    Exciting, convenient, irritating, intrusive and delicious all at the same time. The timing could be better though. Don't know if I could ever get used to the music part but like Bev. I do get to hear the "Furro" quite often here and they share it without even having to be asked.

    ReplyDelete