5.15.2012

Cock-a-doodle-do


Without officially poling need-greaters and missionaries, we have created a top ten list.  Over the years we have heard many experiences shared, now we've had our own and it seems that all such adventures have these things in common:

1.  You will be hot.
2.  You will get sick.
3.  You will miss certain foods and beverages from home and nothing will fill this void.
4.  You will hate the difference in culture at first and embrace it at the end.
5.  You will cry tears of frustration at first and tears of joy at the end.
6.  You will make new lifelong friends.
7.  You will have incredible field experiences.
8.  You will draw closer to Jehovah and your mate or friend who went with you.
9.  Your perspective on the world and Jehovah's organization will change for the better, forever.

and 10....

You WILL get gifted a live chicken.

I remember my sister telling me this happened when she need-greated in Africa.  I laughed my head off and couldn't imagine a worse gift!  But that was then.

Yesterday we went to visit an inactive sister who lives out in the country and manages a chicken farm.  She fulfilled #10.  Except that this time, we couldn't imagine a better gift!  Here's a glimpse into our afternoon yesterday:


The chicks.                                                The feed.
The fear.

Maria is laughing at our reaction like, how on earth is this a big deal?  Silly Americans.  We just go pick out a chicken, put it in the box and call it a day.  Ok we got this..


She starts to lose us though when she asks, "You want a female or a male?"  Uhhhhhhhh.................

We just want a chicken in a box.  Closed please.

             

She was quickly packed away and in the car.  Field trip time little hen...

She was dropped off at a local chicken shop
And moved from a box to a bag

She now has a place in our fridge and very soon.... in our tummies :)  Thanks Maria!!  

2 comments:

  1. Wow you guys. Now that's a list that not everyone can say they've experienced! And I don't think I've ever had a chicken THAT fresh. I'll bet is was yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture and captions! I am thourghly enjoying your blog. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete